Reliable Attendants Needed
Provide Personal Care for People with Disabilities
For many people with disabilities, having an attendant come into their home and help with basic tasks can mean the difference between living independently in the community or being confined to a nursing home. You could be the person that keeps an individual independent!
Heartland Independent Living Center’s (HILC) Consumer Directed Services (CDS) is frequently in need of reliable attendants.
All attendants must be at least 18 years of age, and pass a background check.
For CDS, attendants are legally employed by the individuals for whom they are providing care. The attendant is hired and supervised by the individual, not HILC. The Attendant will provide the services listed on a Plan of Care (POC) that has been determined by the Department of Health and Senior Services. The Attendant may work for more than one individual; however, each is considered a separate employer.
HILC provides case management, oversight, processes payroll and handles other employment-related paperwork. HILC does not have any influence on who an individual participant hires. However, we do maintain a list of potential attendants that is provided to participants if they request it. CDS attendants are needed in all of the primary counties that HILC serves: Franklin, Gasconade, and Maries. HILC also has CDS participants in a number of counties that border our primary service area.
To be added to the Registered Attendants List, you will need to complete and apply for the background check through the Missouri Family Care Safety Registry (FCSR). All perspective personal care attendants must visit HILC prior to being employed by a CDS program participant. During the visit you must:
- Present a valid state-issued photo ID
- An original Social Security card
- Cash, check, or a money order for $14.25 (one-time fee) to cover FCSR registration costs.
- If an attendant is already listed on the FCSR, only a current, original state-issued photo ID and original Social Security card will need to be presented.
CDS Attendant job duties may include:
- Personal Care – assisting with dressing, grooming, bathing and/or toileting
- Homemaker Chores – cleaning, cooking and laundry
- Transportation – grocery shopping, medication pick up, general errands and other essential transportation, excluding medical appointments.
Our office is located at 1010 West Highway 28 in Owensville. You can call to request FCSR form be mailed to you. Our phone number is (573) 437-5100, or toll-free, (866) 322-3224.
You can pick up an application for the CDS attendant position at the Heartland Independent Living Center office. You can also download and print a CDS Attendant application from this website.